Small Business Financing (SBF) program
Open for finance company enrollment
The Small Business Financing (SBF) program is accepting applications from finance companies that would like to provide financing to small businesses for energy efficiency upgrades.
Finance company benefits
- Mitigate risk through a credit enhancement provided at no cost to you or your customers. The first $1 million of every enrolled financing agreement will receive a loss reserve contribution. Recover up to 90% in the event of a charge-off.
- Utilize the credit enhancement to approve a wider set of customers or offer more competitive rates and terms.
- Partner with the State of California and investor-owned utilities to reach more customers through a statewide marketing campaign.
- Introduce your contractor network to the program or build relationships with new contractors in California.
- Projects may qualify through a broad list of pre-qualified measures, professional certification of energy savings or as part of a utility rebate or incentive program
- Program supports a variety of products: loans, leases, equipment finance agreements, service-agreements and savings-based payment agreements
- Building owners and tenants may access financing
- Small businesses and nonprofits can qualify through meeting SBA size requirements, annual revenues of less than $15 million, or fewer than 100 employees
- Project developers may assist customers with project scope and moving projects to completion
- Program has minimal underwriting guidelines; finance companies set their own underwriting
- Up to 30% of financing amount may be used for non-Energy Saving Measures and still receive the credit enhancement
- Projects can include distributed generation and/or storage; financing for those measures does not receive the credit enhancement